Reflections on 2017’s 52 Week Challenge
Well, I didn’t exactly get through all 52 weeks but given the circumstances and changes in my year, I don’t feel dissatisfied with the 32 weeks that I did manage to complete. I am not sure why this lost so much of a priority with me toward the end when there was only 2 months to go but I had to let it go and focus on other things. Perhaps it was the obligation to post each week that burnt me out? Regardless, I think that the last couple of months of the year found me in a place which required a breather. I am pleased with some of the work that I created and some good ideas were explored.
Original Content from the 52 Week Challenge
(52 week) Challenge Accepted! Throughout 2017 I will create 52 works of art – one each week for the duration of the year. Follow my progress by subscribing to this blog now via email and/or join me on Instagram (@mlevacy).
Here are the rules I’ve established before I begin:
- Must complete one work of art each week.
- No thematic or subject restriction placed on content of works.
- Each work must use water-media (watercolor, gouache, or watercolor markers/pencils/crayons, etc.) and/or ink (pen & ink, ink wash, etc.) in some way.
- Works may include mixed media as long as either ink or a water-media is used.
- There will be no size constraint placed on work, however the finished work must be a minimum of 3×3 inches (or comparable dimension).
- Each work must be completed and shared via Instagram (@mlevacy) by Sunday night each week.
- Each week I will post at least 2 in-progress shots on IG documenting my process.
- Additional images and commentary (or media information) must be shared via this blog by Friday the following week.
Weekly Post Links:
- Week 1: Creating a personal color palette for watercolor (part 1)
- Week 2: Creating a personal color palette for watercolor (part 2)
- Week 3: Shell Studies in Watercolor
- Week 4: Watercolor Shark Eye Snails
- Week 5: Tulip Trial with Derwent Line Painters
- Week 6: Mini Roses and Negative Painting with Watercolor
- Week 7: Watercolor Flower Studies
- Week 8: Vanitas Still-Lifes with Shells and Flowers
- Week 9: Mexican Bird Love Token
- Week 10: Teacher/Student Collaboration
- Week 11: Bunny and Egg(plant) Watercolor Painting
- Week 12: Spray Paint Marbling & Mixed Media Drawing
- Week 13: 6x6x2017 Watercolor Painting
- Week 14: Baby’s Breath Roots – Mixing Water Media
- Week 15: Teacher/Student Collaborations (part 2)
- Week 16: Teacher/Student Collaborations (part 3)
- Week 17: Teacher/Student Collaborations (part 4)
- Week 18: Tiny Watercolors
- Week 19: Watercolor Memorial Portrait
- Week 20: Painting with my Granny
- Week 21: Teacher/Student Collaborations (part 5)
- Week 22: Botanical Change of Address Postcards
- Week 23 – Week 26 (Moving Hiatus)
- Week 27: Wedding Portrait with Orchids and Lanterns
- Week 28: Ink & Gesso Botanical Paintings
- Week 29 – Week 32 (Who the heck knows what happened here?)
- Week 33: Botanical Watercolor Birthday Cards
- Week 34: Watercolor Botany Studies
- Week 35: Watercolor Botany Identification Chart Illustration
- Week 36: Exploring Leaf Identification in Pen & Ink and Watercolor
- Week 37: Pen & Ink and Watercolor Drawing on Eco-Prints (Mourning Dove)
- Week 38: Bird & Botanical Drawings for Inktober 2017 (October 1 – 10)
- Week 39: Obsessive Inky Drawings for Inktober 2017 (October 11 – 21)
- Week 40: Inktober 2017 (October 22 – 31)