Experimental embroidered bird for RoCo 6×6 2018 exhibition.

For the 8th year in a row, I submitted work to the annual 6×6 show held by the Rochester Contemporary Art Center. This is the very first year I have not done this with my students and while it was a little sad, I did see several former students on Instagram continuing the yearly tradition with their own submissions and this has made be very happy.

I have been creating a new nature themed embroidery motif each day as part of the 100 day’s project this year and one of these motifs depicted a little female “brown bird” (House Sparrow) that has long been a favorite image of mine.

CryTheBird(Levacy)-6x6x18-pattern

For a change of pace, I decided to submit an embroidery piece based on this motif for this years 6×6 show. I wanted a format to explore some new ideas and ways of stitching that I have not had the chance to work with yet and this was the perfect opportunity to try them out.

I started with back stitch outlines and while I had intended on using some fill stitches here and there, I changed paths and decided to turn the back stitches into whipped stem stitches. With contrasting colors, the whipped stem stitch created more variation in the color and a more dynamic sense of the realistic color of the bird and leaves.

CryTheBird(Levacy)-6x6x18-bird-3

I filled in some of the areas on the wings with additional long stitches. I went back and forth on couching these long loose threads or creating additional whipped stem stitches but after a lot of “ripping” out and revisions I decided that this was the most pleasing combination to create the type of texture that I wanted.

ryTheBird(Levacy)-6x6x18-bird-4

CryTheBird(Levacy)-6x6x18-bird-2

I used a seed stitch to create additional texture in the body of the bird and because of the way that I did this a bit of rippling occurred in the fabric. Because it was so uniform I rather liked it. I wrapped the fabric onto a 6×6 inch canvas panel and used fabric glue to secure the fabric to the back. This ensured that there was no glue on the front of the piece.

CryTheBird(Levacy)-6x6x18-bird-1

It was pretty hard to let go of this as I ended up loving it a lot more than I had originally anticipated. I will definitely keep exploring these stitch options and will remake this piece at some point in the future. I also liked using a square format after thinking in circles for so long.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s